The most violent weapon on earth is the table fork.
-Mahatma Gandhi


Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin


400949_GaneshMall.com-Culture Infused Living: Home Accents, Jewelry, and accessories from around the world!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dads' Chapatis, Vegan Korma, and Red Lentils with Curry Leaves


Freshly Baked Chapatis.
My dad is becoming quite the Indian Chef.
Chapati Recipe from  "The Indian Vegan Kitchen" by Madhu Gadia


The Indian Vegan Kitchen: More Than 150 Quick and Healthy Homestyle Recipes

We had kind of an "impromptu" family get together right after the Holidays.  I thought I was just going to see my 2 aunts (and folks), but their hubbies showed up too!  So great to see everyone.  Of course my father made an Indian Feast.  My 2 uncles aren't super crazy about Indian Food, but I think that the South Indian Lentils with Curry Leaves  passed the test.  One uncle wasn't crazy about cauliflower on it's own, but otherwise he might have even been okay with the Korma.  My mom loves Indian food, but I think she prefers the creamy dishes.  So I was happy that my dad made a Vegan Korma this time. Remember, if you use coconut milk, try to get a brand that does NOT use BPA's in the linings of their containers.   Any type of canned anything will most likely have BPA's.  Follow link to read about just a few companies and their status on BPA use.  It appears that Native Forest Brand may be safe, but I would always call first to confirm!  Changes in packaging can be made at any time.  Search Amazon.com for native forest coconut milk.  I know lots of people just shrug off BPA's but we tend to do that with everything until it is right up in our face about the dangers.  Canada has banned them.  I think I probably tax my endocrine system enough that it probably doesn't want anymore disruptions.  
Vegan Korma.  One of my mom's faves, but this time without the animal products.  He got the
recipe off of the internet and just "veganized" it.
Flattening the "bubbles" in the Chapati.

Dad, can you come cook for me??

South Indian Lentils with Curry Leaves
from Anupy Singla's "The Indian Slow Cooker" book.
Yes, they have been eating Indian for the last month also!

Love the black mustard seeds and the Curry Leaves creating texture.

Grapes, Apples, Walnuts, Spinach.


Can you believe it?  Dad made homemade bread also!

He is putting his Bosch to good use.  Although I
wish they would do more of the flax crackers and drop the
bread part.  

Why oh Why don't I eat gluten?
Freshly baked bread is the best!

Made with "Atta" flour.  Which can be bought very inexpensively at the
Indian Market (or online).


Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin

No comments:

Post a Comment